Welcome back for the Summer Term! We hope you have had a lovely time over the Easter break and we welcome you back for a busy last term in Year 5. We are looking forward to continuing the outstanding progress shown throughout Year 5 in the opening two terms. Last term 5O had a hugely successful trip to Pendarren, thanks largely to Mr Coffey’s input.
These are the main learning objectives this half term that we will be focusing on:
Literacy: Persuasive Writing.
- Persuasive Adverts
- Persuasive Letters
- Persuasive Script Writing
- Persuasive Arguments/Debating
- Rehearse HTU x U using informal methods
- Relating fractions to division
- Ordering positive and negative numbers
- Add two integers up to 10000s using written methods
- Multiply numbers using known number facts
- Round one or two decimal places to the nearest whole number
RE: (From Easter to Pentecost)
- Retell events of the Easter Season
- Explain links between Scripture and the Nicene Creed
- Describe the work of Caritus Westminster
Our Connected Curriculum Topic is ‘Our Place’ and the objectives include:
- Plant parts (their functions)
- Life Cycle of a plant
- Seed Dispersal (and it’s importance)
- Food Chains and webs (and it’s terminology: e.g. A Producer, A Primary Consumer)
Focus: Science, Geography.
Our Core Learning Skills unit is: ‘Speaking & Listening’.
- The children will be doing PE on a Friday. Please ensure your child has their full PE kit in school and that all items are clearly labelled. Please supply a tracksuit as the weather remains cold throughout the term (KS2).
- Homework will be given out on a Wednesday or a Friday and will be expected to be handed in by the following Monday.
- Please ensure that you encourage your child to read their reading books sent home from school, and if possible spend some time listening to them read or reading to them, as all research shows that this is invaluable to their progress.
- Book Bag changing days will be a Wednesday.
- Finally please continue to support your child in learning their times tables as we will be continuing to have a big push this year. This is vitally important for their development in Numeracy.
Thanks for your support- Mr O’ Connor and Miss Gray